Thursday, May 29, 2014

Once Upon a Balloon - Bree Galbraith

Book Cover

Once Upon a Balloon is the story of two young brothers, Theo and Zeke.  Theo receives a balloon from his cousin.  His mom offers to tie it around his wrist.  Everyone warns him not to let go of the balloon.  Theo tries really hard but his fingers just won't listen and sadly, he lets go of the balloon.  But where did it go?  Theo asks.  His mom and dad give answers that seem very unlikely.  But his big brother Zeke knows everything so when Theo tells him the balloon went to Chicago that just has to be true.  But what happens to all the balloons in Chicago?  Big brother Zeke has answers to all Theo's questions, after all, he is the older brother and he does know everything.

I had so much fun reading this book to the kids at school.  I read it with kids from kindergarten to grade 5.  They all enjoyed it.  While I read I asked the kids where they thought the balloon went.  Had any of the children been to Chicago?  Did they see lots of balloons there?

I was very surprised when I read that Once Upon a Balloon is Bree Galbraith's first book.  However, I was not surprised to read that she is Canadian.  So many great authors come from Canada!  Can't wait to see what Galbraith writes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment