Friday, February 20, 2015

Young Frank Architect by Frank Viva

17733897This week I was very excited to kick off our Blue Spruce 2015 reading with the primary classes.  I was happy to see how excited the kids were too.  First up I chose to read Young Frank Architect by Frank Viva.  This is the story of young Frank and his grandfather old Frank who are both architects.  The story is about young Frank who is an architect but wants to build chairs and cities that his grandfather thinks aren't quite right.  After a visit to the Museum of Modern Art old Frank realizes that he was wrong and that things are changing in the architect world.  The two then spend the day building all kinds of different things.

The kids thought this book was mostly good.  I suspect it won't get too many votes after all 10 books are read but it was an enjoyable read.  I think in grade 3 or 4 it is in the curriculum to teach about structures and this book would be a good introduction.

Today we're stuck inside because of cold weather.  If I had the book at home I would read it with my boys and hope to inspire a day of imagination and building.

No comments:

Post a Comment