Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sight Unseen by David Carroll

26847325 In 2014 I discovered David Carroll while doing the Forest of Reading program at my school.  His first novel, Ultra, was a Silver Birch nominee and I read it aloud with my grade 5 class.  I also reviewed it here on my blog.  The students loved the book and it was one of those stories that got requests for me to come and read to them at lunch hour.  You know you've grabbed their attention when instead of socializing they want to hear more!

I was very excited to see David Carroll has published a second book, Sight Unseen.  This is the story of a boy named Finn that is slowly losing his eye sight.  Slowly he is being forced to give up doing the things he loves.  Biking being his most missed activity.  He's also losing his friends and independence.  While camping with his family and new friend Cheese, Finn discovers there may be a way to keep his eyesight but at the expense of other sacrifices.  Tough decision!

Hopefully this fall David Carroll will be back on the Silver Birch nominee list with Sight Unseen.  I think it will make another great read aloud for one of my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment