Thursday, March 5, 2015

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

13526165 I spent a long weekend in New York City last year.  One of the first things I saw when strolling around was a sign about The Strand book store.  I immediately made it a mission to see this book store before I left.  Sadly, I arrived with only about 30 minutes to browse before closing.  If you go to NYC and are a book lover; you must go!  So many books.  So many floors.  Unfortunately, I was rushed and trying to travel light so I had to limit my purchases.  The rare book floor had already closed.  In a rush I grabbed Where'd You Go, Bernadette.  

I loved this book.  It made me laugh.  It had some suspense and unexpected moments.  I enjoyed all the characters.  I loved the sarcasm!

Bernadette was an award winning architect before she moved to Seattle.  But once she got to Seattle her motivation to build was gone.  She keeps busy with her daughter, Bee and her husband is extremely busy working on a project for Microsoft.  Bernadette enjoys her solitude and time alone with Bee but the parent council at Bee's school are about to push her over the edge.  Then Bee asks for a trip to Antarctica and life becomes almost too much to bear for Bernadette.  The big question is where does Bernadette go????

I just visited Maria Semple's website and saw that she has written for the Ellen show.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment