Monday, June 22, 2015

Looking for Alaska by John Green

99561I just finished reading Looking for Alaska by John Green.  I really liked the book but not as much as Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I've heard from many people that Paper Towns is most people's favourite.  I've got a few other things to read but I will get around to Paper Towns eventually.

For me Looking for Alaska got me talking with those around me about what is appropriate for students to be reading.  It's an issue that I constantly am thinking about in my job as an elementary school library technician.  In the past I have leaned on the conservative side.  A big reason being that I wouldn't want to be challenged for letting a student read a book that is inappropriate.  I spoke with a teacher about Looking for Alaska this morning and she told me look at the curriculum.  Is there anything in the book that we haven't taught?  Good advice.  By grade 7 and 8 students have been taught sex, drugs, alcohol and more - all very common in Looking for Alaska.

I had many discussions with adults and teenagers about this book.  Everyone seemed to think grade 7 was not unreasonable.  I think it comes down to how it is all portrayed.  In Looking for Alaska the sex, drinking and smoking seem common and acceptable.  For that reason I don't feel like it's appropriate.  It makes it seem acceptable behaviour.

The other issue is I can't read everything before I put it on the shelves.  When purchasing most of the Young Adult books I just have to read reviews and age recommendations and trust their opinions.  I think I spend more time pondering the books that I have read myself.

Have you read Looking for Alaska?  How old do you think you should be to read it?

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was too old for my school libraries, too.

    ReplyDelete