Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Husband's Secret by Lian Moriarty

My book club read for this month was The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.  Cecilia Fitzpatrick is an every day normal housewife.  Well maybe not every day, she's a bit of an overachieving do everything sort of Mom.  One day Cecilia stumbles upon a sealed letter addressed to her with instructions to only be opened in the event of her husband's death.  The letter is from her husband and she really can't imagine what it would possibly say.  She has faith in her husband and believes her marriage to be strong.  Yet, what could the letter contain?

The Husband's Secret took many twists and turns that I didn't see coming.  I quite enjoyed reading it and I look forward to discussing it with my book club to see what they thought.  There was one little thing that really bugged me about the story which I can't reveal without spoiling the story.  I want to see if my other book club members felt the same way.  So obviously a great book club choice because I believe it will spark a great discussion.

Without revealing any details of the ending I did find it slightly different that the author really detailed and finalized the story.  There wasn't much left to the imagination (other than imagining how I would personally handle the secret).  Maybe a better way to describe it is that the story felt complete.  There was nothing hanging.  Which isn't always the way I feel when I finish a book.

I always meant to get around to reading Liane Moriarty's other novel What Alice Forgot.  I will try and elevate that book a little higher on my to read list.  She is definitely an author I will look for more books from.

No comments:

Post a Comment