Sunday, August 24, 2014

Bad Magic by Pseudonymous Bosch

20454095Years ago my oldest son read The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch.  He loved them.  At the time they were quite thick books for a little guy to be reading.  I remember challenging him to read one of the books over Christmas break and if he did buying him the next in the series.  He really enjoyed the series.

I never did get around to reading The Secret Series myself but in June I bought the first book in the series for my school library.  So when I saw that there was a new series coming out I thought I would jump on it and read the first one.  I am making the assumption here that Bad Magic is a new series and not just a one off.  It ended in a manor that would imply there is more to come.

I enjoyed the book.  In the middle I wasn't sure which direction the book was going to go in.  The end was definitely a surprise.  As you might expect the book is about magic.  There's a good Shakespeare lesson buried in Bad Magic.  I liked that it was just a fun book with a mystery to solve.  I think kids that like Lemony Snicket would enjoy it although it didn't really have the humour that Snicket has.

Bad Magic is being published on September 16, 2014 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment